Uses of Acupuncture
Acupuncture has a history of over 2500 years and comes from China. It has now become very popular throughout Europe and Asia too.
Today people are moving more away from western medicine and moving more towards acupuncture, mainly when western medicine has no answer to their medical ailment or they do not like the other options given them, be it surgery or drugs or even when they have been told that nothing else can be done. They turn to acupuncture for pain relief, for chronic illness, for acute injuries, for various side effects brought on by other medications, for incurable conditions, during cancer treatments etc.
The major use of acupuncture today is in the relief of pain. For example sever tension headaches, migraine, acute backaches, shoulder and neck aches, leg pains, trapped nerves, muscle related injuries, after surgery, carpal tunnel syndrome, after sports injuries, menstrual pains, tennis elbow, tooth aches, abdominal pains, arthritic pains, rheumatic pains, sciatica and frozen shoulder.
Other than for pain relief acupuncture can be used for many other ailments as well. These include:
- Menopausal symptoms and problems, hot flashes, endometriosis, infertility, premenstrual tension.
- Bladder or bowel problems such as irritable bowel and irritable bladder syndrome and incontinence. Difficulty in urination or painful urination, urinary infections and cystitis.
- Digestive disorders, which include nausea, indigestion, heartburn and diarrhea.
- Respiratory problems, which include asthma, bronchitis, colds and coughs which persist, sinus problems, catarrh and tonsillitis.
- Allergies and skin problems such as rhinitis, hay fever, prickly heat, rashes and ulcers, eczema, some types of dermatitis and psoriasis.
- Conditions which include the eyes and mouth such as simple cataract, dry eyes, conjunctivitis, retinitis and toothache, pharyngitis, dry mouth condition known as xerostomia and post extraction pain.
- Heart problems such as poor circulation, stroke recovery, hypertension.
- It also helps in conditions like hiccough, gastritis, gastric ulcers, colitis, constipation, lack of energy and chronic fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, mood swings, post traumatic shock, dizziness, in postoperative treatment, in complaints that cannot be diagnosed, Achilles tendonitis and golfer’s elbow.
- It can also help in addictions mainly to stop smoking.